Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: I can't get K-40 in Argentina!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm living in Buenos Aires at the moment and shooting some footage on super8. I tried to find out where to buy film about 2 weeks and I found one company called Arco Iris (Arco Iris Super 8... to be exact) This guy, Emanuel, who runs the super 8 department said to me that he can't get K40 with the developing included. They don't sell that film to him to Argentina. There's a problem with the post office or something? So if I film on K40 I have to send the film to US for developing and it's about 3 times more expensive than shooting on ektachrome because Emanuel developes it him self. I was even thnking that maybe I'll get my friend from Finland to send me the film but then I would have to wait about a year to get back home and send it for developing. Other option is: my friend here goes frequently to US because of his job there and I have another friend in New York. So they could by the film from US , bring it here, take it back, send it for developing and then bring it back here. Sounds complicated, eh! Well, my question is that what is the price for Kodachrome 40(developing included) in the States? And also how long does it take to get it back from the lab? I could also try to get K-40 from Chile because they have some kind of "free market relationship" -thang with the US, but I think that's even more complicated...

    For the sake of Super8... help me, please.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The last time I bought K-40 with processing it was $13.31 per cartridge direct from Kodak in Manhattan. The mailer is the same one that is sold in Europe, but it doesn't show any South American addresses for labs.

    Your friend can call Kodak at 1-800-621-FILM inside the USA. Important!: Request catalog number 505 3335

    It is processed through an address in New Jersey:

    Kodak Premium Processing
    P.O. Box 7000
    Fair Lawn, NJ 07410-7000

    (This address doesn't appear on the mailer, since Kodak has only offered processing inside the USA in the last two years)

    Typical processing times in the greater NYC area are about 10 days.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 28, 2004 09:22 PM: Message edited by: BolexPlusx ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by BolexPlusx:

    Typical processing times in the greater NYC area are about 10 days.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">10 days for K40? you lucky dog. Best I've had is 14 days and the usual is more like 18-20. I'm only an hour and a half from NYC!

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Interesting....

    It must be something with the Postal Service. I run a very consistent 10 days, although it seems they can sense when I need the footage very badly, and only then it's more!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yep, I have to get it from US... if I shoot and develope K-40 here buying it from here it's about 40-45 USD for one cartridge! If I can get it from the states without paying anything more than the price of the film (that's what friends are for) it's under 14 USD. It sounds like a bargain for me at the moment... thanks guys.

    so, do I have to write the address of the US -lab to the envelope or do they know where to send it...?

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 29, 2004 11:57 AM: Message edited by: bigmasi ]</font>

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You have to write the New Jersey Address on the envelope. Once it gets there it is gathered together and forwarded to Dwayne's in Kansas for processing, and then the processed film is mailed to your return address.

    You should use US addresses for everything. I'm not sure that the Kodak/Dwayne's agreement would apply for an address outside the USA.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by BolexPlusx:

    It must be something with the Postal Service. I run a very consistent 10 days, although it seems they can sense when I need the footage very badly, and only then it's more!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The more I think about it, probably has to do with me sending in Regular 8 and you Super 8. Regular 8 is done only once a week over at the big D in Kansas. I did shoot one Super 8 late last year and it took 3 weeks but that was due to the Holiday slow down. I only got a few K25 R8 left then its back to S8 for Kodachrome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •